- Why there are often random shoes on the street. It’s always just one, never a pair, and they are just lying in the middle of the road. Recently, a black flip-flop has taken up residence on a street I drive every day. Where did it come from? How did it get there? Where is its mate?
- Why there is often random clothing on the street. And why is it almost always a black t-shirt?
- Why school cafeterias always serve corn with pizza. I thought this was just something that happened at my school, but, nope, after consulting with people who attended public schools all over the country, it seems that the pizza-corn combo is de rigueur. Why? Some things just naturally go together: Peanut butter and jelly, beans and cornbread, bacon and eggs, gin and tonic. But to my knowledge you can’t call up Papa John’s and order a side of canned corn with your pepperoni pizza.
- Why the label on the Angostura Bitters bottle doesn’t fit properly. They’ve got a lot of verbiage on there, I get it. But edit that shit down or make the bottle bigger or something. It looks like they didn’t really think things through very well.
- Why a strange message randomly appeared over a video I was watching 30 years ago. It was 1983 and my brother and I were watching videos on MTV (yes, MTV used to actually show music videos!). The Kinks’ “Come Dancing” came on, and within a few seconds a graphic suddenly appeared on the screen. It said “You’re Out Cheesy” in large, white letters and flashed on and off for about a minute or so as the video played. Then it was gone. Was it a transmission from another planet? A message from God? Who or what was “Cheesy”? And what were they out of, exactly?